Organic Brown Basmati Rice - 500 grams.
Organic Brown Basmati Rice is a species of rice unique to India. Basmati has been used in India and Pakistan for thousands of years and is known for its nutty flavour and rich aroma. It is a long, slender grain which creates a lovely light, fluffy rice when cooked.
Basmati rice is a fragrant Indian traditional rice with long, slender grains and slightly nutty flavor and contains large numbers of carbohydrates, protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals.
The word ‘Basmati’ means ‘the prince of fragrance’ and you only need to cook a batch of it to find out why. The special fragrance is due to a plant compound called 2-acetyl-1-pyrroline. This compound is found in basmati rice at 90 parts per billion. That’s about 12 times more than in other rice varieties and gives basmati its special aroma. This is what makes Basmati such a coveted rice variety.
Unlike white rice, brown rice contains the outer shell of the grain. The outer shell contains added nutrition and fibre.
Storage, for optimum freshness keep in a cool place away from moisture and direct sunlight. Store in a tightly sealed bag or container.
Suggested Cooking Instructions
- Rinse the rice a few times
- Soak overnight if you have time.
- Combine 1 part rice to 1 1/2 parts fresh water in a pan.
- Add salt now if you want.
- Boil for 10 minutes and then simmer for a further 15-20 minutes.
- Let it stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- We love brown basmati rice with organic vegetable chilli.
- We usually make an extra couple of portions for a rice salad the next day.
- We have also discovered that it makes a great fragrant rice pudding – with organic nutmeg, cinnamon and coconut sugar.